When The Children Cry

We didn't plan to have a child. Albany was completely a surprise. So there was no research done about it before we came and we landed in Perth clueless and frightened. Though neither of us had absolutely no experience in dealing with kids in our lives before and didn't even consider if we wanted to be parents in the first place, the pregnancy meant a lot to us. Many believed that a child is God's gift to a couple. Though I am a free thinker, I have no disagreement with that. In fact, We simply accepted the unborn child in Jen's womb as part of our family, the additional member to our adventuring party. It wasn't any kind of 'paternal instinct'. I think it's pure bullshit. I do not believe any one who hasn't have a child knows what it means at all. Perhaps I thought I did - only on hearing the first cry of my child, the moment that spiked tears from my eyes, I knew I was wrong. Only then, I learnt.


My buddy should know what that meant. Congratulations Ah Liam, a new father who survived his first week of fatherhood by now. You did our country proud, brother. But that's besides the point now. You will hereby receive the level of happiness and motivation that you will never attain in other aspects of life. Never. Bathe in this shower of blessings my friend. We rarely talked about emotional stuff but we didn't need to share any of these. You are enjoying the moments, every single bit of it. I didn't have to be told. I know.


We know you will be a good father all along. I could see that image all the way back to our teen hoods. You're destined to be one fucking awesome dad unlike me, whom some folks probably still think I will be a misguided influence to my daughter. Don't give a fuck what others think so long as Albany thinks I am the greatest, I am. So will you. You only have one person to prove to - and that is Sarah, your daughter, my God-daughter. And I can't wait to hold her in my arms.


Please never forget one thing, because parenthood is a disease. It makes us forget. It gives us dementia. Never forget all we prayed for was a healthy child. Nothing else mattered, we promised. There was the day where the cries of our child were miracles in our eyes. There will be one day where our toddler don't learn to walk fast enough as compared to that son of the guy who lives next door. Or the day when our kids didn't make us proud, so that we can gain some bragging rights to sooth our miserable souls. Never forget how parenthood corrupts our minds like the dark malediction we thought only existed in our games.


Just like how I never forgot the song you taught me. How different the lyrics means to me now, since the days we used to play this together. How about you, brother?


Little childDry your crying eyesHow can I explainThe fear you feel inside?

'Cause you were bornInto this evil worldWhere man is killing manAnd no one knows just whyWhat have we become?Just look what we have doneAll that we destroyedYou must build again

When the children cryLet them know we tried'Cause when the children singThen the new world begins

Little childYou must show the wayTo a better dayFor all the young

'Cause you were bornFor all the world to seeThat we all can liveWith love and peace
No more presidentsAnd all the wars will endOne united worldUnder God

When the children cryLet them know we tried'Cause when the children singThen the new world begins

What have we become?Just look what we have doneAll that we destroyedYou must build againNo more presidentsAnd all the wars will endOne united worldUnder God

When the children cryLet them know we triedWhen the children fightLet them know it ain't rightWhen the children prayLet them know the way
'Cause when the children sing

Then the new world begins

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Albany has arrived. She is such a darling!

    ReplyDelete