Should I Tag Along for my Wife's Study Program?

Dear Nix,

Thank you for your time and advise again.

My wife studies start feb 2014. We are in the midst of applying for her visa.

Her part is pretty much straight forward.

Can you please share your opinion on what I should do? Eg.

1) wait for her to get a job after graduate then I go over. (2 years later)
2) apply for a study too (go over together)
3) just go over together and try finding work (odd jobs first, hopefully within 2 years being offered perm job and apply for visa)

I dont mind the 3rd option, just worry that I may have nothing to offer perth (skill in paticular, I am jack of all trades but master of non. But I am an adaptor and fast learner.)
Thank you once again. Your advice means alot to me.

Yours sincerely,

WT

******

Dear WT,


There is Singaporean I know online the through this website who is currently residing in Adelaide, South Australia. Recently he told me he made the move because of what I wrote. I didn't ask him for the specific post because I knew there wasn't any particular post here. I thought it was an isolated case. When I return to the forum where I first started hatching the migration plans to catch up with old forumers and read questions of newbies who were in my positions a few years ago, I was surprised that some forumers still remembered me and told me I was "an inspiration."


I stopped for a second and wondered if I should have taken all these seriously. Obviously, I am happy to help for I have already done this for 2 years. However it is a daunting thought that my words may be a life changer for some, hopefully for the better but what if it doesn't work out?


Nowadays, I still read about the same old concerns of Singaporeans about making a move to Australia. Racism, jobs, discrimination, tax, food etc etc etc. I believe the same concerns have been around for decades. Still, Singaporeans leave, Singaporeans stay. Some left but returned, some never did. Some regretted their moves, some regretted not moving earlier. What I want to express here is that migration is a very personal experience which you are the only person who knows what works the best for yourself. A Singaporean may bite off my arms to be in my position today but another will avoid the chance to emigrate like plague.


When my wife (then girlfriend) departed in 2005 for her studies, that defining 2 years of solitude left me affirming that she was the woman I wanted to marry. Her 2 years in Perth was also critical in planting a reckless seed in our minds. A thought of the possibility of moving out of Singapore. Back then, the prospect was both exciting and frightening. I believe any one of us will go through similar experiences at that stage.


Personally, I do not see any obvious demerits of either decision - to stay or go along. I believe both will work out well and you will gain meaningful experiences regardless of your decision. Just for your benefit, I have attached the following below about your working rights as a nominated dependent of the student visa holder. [link] If you are willing to take on casual work for 20 hours a week, you should be able to earn a keep for this 2 years. During this 2 years, it is a chance for you to know the country better and decide if it is truly a place you want to call home thereafter. If it doesn't quite fit the idea, you can always return home to stand up for Singapore and bring home fond memories of the relaxing 2 year honeymoon you just had. How many couples have the chance to do that?


Having said that, the ball is in your court brother. If you are still unable to come to a decision, I'll leave you one of asingaporeanson's specialty - the decision making chart. I hope it will be useful to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment