The Dolls You Should Buy For Your Children Instead

Tasmania is known for its exquisitely charming landscape. Other than enjoying its beauty and great weather, if I ever have the privilege of visiting Hobart for a holiday, I will like to look up a Tasmanian named Sonia Singh and shake hands with her. If you live in Australia and never heard of her, she is an artist who accidentally sparked a controversial global debate about the type dolls that we give our children. That urged the toy-making industry to rethink about reshaping their products, more specifically making dolls look more like normal good girls than bitches at the backstreet.


It began when Sonia started a hobby of buying discarded dolls at co-op shops or flea markets and giving them a new lease of life by giving them a make-over, or for want of a better word, a make-under. Her plan was to set up a little online stall as sell her refurbished dolls in a natural, down-to-earth package instead of their original high maintenance look. She called her dolls, "Tree Change Dolls"
A sample of Sonia's work (Credit)
I love the name Tree Change Dolls. It is so Tasmanian. When locals make a move to Hobart from highly populated cities with a much faster pace of life such as Sydney, Melbourne or even Perth, it is commonly known as a Tree Change. Tree changes is becoming increasingly popular with Australians who wanted a radical change in both of their pace and ways of living. Another blogger [link] who blogs about her Tasmanian Tree Change also practice her arts by running an online handmade bag business. No I do not know her personally but love to read about her Tree Change, a brave inspiring adventure.


As the story goes, Sonia's little hobby eventually caught the attention of the world. I would imagine she has been receiving positive comments about her project from most, if not all. Sonia had no business plan (though there might be one now) Her intention was to recycle discarded plastic waste and turn them into unique toys for children who might like to play with her dolls in the outdoors like she did when she was a child.


If anyone ask me why do I insist to give my little daughter an education in Australia instead of in Singapore, where it is obviously of "higher standard", I will point them to this article. I want my child to grow up in an environment where there is room for not just academics but also the artists. I think it is lifting to know that people here are willing to do their part for their communities by donating their talents, where money is not the common denominator of society.


I'll like to share this video about Sonia Singh and her Tree Change Doll story. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.






No comments:

Post a Comment