The Visit

I returned the next day to visit Jen and baby with an excited Albany. She was delighted to see Jen more than her little brother. She could not come to terms when Jen could not be discharged on the previous day and wailed all the way home in the car. This time, she kept asking if mummy could go home. I told her it depended on the doctor's decision but was hoping fervently for a favourable one myself. It hadn't been easy coping with Albany's reactions to her mum's hospitalisations of late. What triggered her fears was that evening where Jen was suddenly told that she had to be hospitalised due to a high GI count in her blood. Albany was inconsolable and virtually had to be dragged back home. I was glad all these were over.

We had been treated well just like 3 years ago when Albany was born there. We had no complains with the one-bedder ward given to Jen, completed with bathing facilities and a change table. Nappies were also provided for a quick change by the daddies. All babies were left with the mothers since there were born. There was no nursery rooms like those we were accustomed to in Singapore. The hospital encouraged maternal bonding right from the go and advocated skin-to-skin contact as well as breastfeeding. We thought that was the right way too.

I gave baby a quick wash before wrapping him up, all ready to go home. As expected he cried non stop during the bath. He did not have a loud voice like Albany but he was way more animated with his limbs. I changed Albany into her pajamas in case she fell asleep in the car. It was 7pm and I waited calmly for the doctor's decision. Jen might be held back because there was complications during Jen's epidural that caused headaches after her delivery. Fortunately, she was given the go. We told the good news and got ready to leave.

Jen waddled like a penguin but we made it to the hospital lounge. This time we were not surprised that we did not have to pay a single cent for her entire delivery (and prior check ups as well) but we were equally grateful like the first time we had Albany. The hospital also send a midwife for home visits at least 3 times to ensure mother and baby was well. A child health nurse would also visit a week after the midwife to do another check on us. We were given adequate information and support throughout. There were also toll-free lines to call for medical advice. I knew people who did not think much about Australia's medical system. Personally, I felt very satisfied with the medical system here.

When we came to Australia, there were two of us. Now we have four of us. It has been an incredible journey beyond my imagination. No doubt, harder days are to come. I foresee struggles to cope. I can't figure out any scenarios where Jen can return to her PT job. Until we think of something logistically and financially logical, Jen may have to give up on her job. That will be a pity because I could see she have been enjoying her work.

Meanwhile I have a baby to muse over. He looks quite similar to his sister when she was an infant. It still makes me smile whenever I see this photo.