Singapore Revisited Log 5.7: The Wedding

The best time to talk to your buddy about his hurtful past relationship was on the eve of his wedding day. After rushing around completing final errands for two days, we finally sat down at a kopitiam near the Pinnacle@Duxton. As we drove past, I raised my eyes slightly to take a glance at the award-winning development, apparently for designing a HDB flat that looked like a binary board. Apparently the officials were very happy with that and self masturbated the fact with their party magazine named Straits Times. What could I say about it? Motherboard hole's MOP just ended this year and the first units were selling for a cool $800k. In time to come, they would be putting these out for a million bucks each to bait suckers. The G-men would then be clamouring about how they created a binary load of millionaires, of course.


There we hid feasting on street food, under the shadow refuge of the Pinnacles. Since there was nothing left to do on the wedding preparation list, Tucky was naturally in good spirits. That was his last dinner as a bachelor. I should have told him to order anything he wished on my bill, like how prison wardens ask prisoners on the death row what do they want for their last meals. Heh heh. Tasteless morbid joke yeah but tarot readers like us view death in a different way. Every beginning is after the death of something else. For instance, some say marriage is the graveyard of romance. For me, it was a day to bury old ghosts for good. Indeed, we were able to chat about his old relationship lightheartedly. That was a far cry to the awkward long years after it ended. Nobody wanted to bring it up to risk opening old wounds. It saddened me to see how he struggled to come to terms for so long. The shadow of the past cast doubts even when he was preparing to propose to his current wife. Bless the fair maiden who gifted him a complete heal.


I was standing behind the man when he was reciting his marriage vows, which I heard so many times over that I could almost read it out myself. Of course, little Albany was trying to make her daddy famous again with a yell in the middle of the vow at the part Tucky was already fumbling to. I doubt he actually heard Albany though. In moments like that, most of us were in the zone shut off from the rest of the world. Even if a plane was crashing into Grand Copthorne at that moment, the man would still finish it up. It was a lovely vow. Embarrassingly, I almost cried. After she gave a smooth rendition of her own, rings were exchanged and the couple were pronounced man and wife. Tucky held my new "sister-in-law", beaming.


I walked over to little Albany, who had her arms outstretched upwards, jogging on the spot crying, "Daddy, daddy, bao boooow." I lifted her up and hugged her for the millionth time and took her to greet "Uncles James and wife", which she couldn't stop repeating after we received the wedding invitation months ago.

1 comment:

  1. Nice story! I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing here. Anyways dear, I am planning to book a Wedding location in Chicago as a wedding favor on my best friend’s wedding. I want a spacious venue with right kind of lighting and furniture. Can you suggest such a venue?

    ReplyDelete