Letter from "Arsehole of Australia"

Hello Nix, 


Just want to say I really enjoy your writing. 


Apologies for cold-emailing and the wall of text, but I've gotten very interested in listening to different people's migration stories, and I'd like to share my experience too. 


I did my tertiary studies in Perth so I can relate to many of the things you've spoken about. 


Met the wife in Uni, then we graduated and went back to Singapore for 5 years. I was constantly unhappy with the state of affairs in SG - politics, crowds etc. My job as a writer wasn't flash either. Pay was bad, work hours are long (no overtime) and you end up becoming a page-filler for pages when there're no advertisements allotted. 


Fortunately, the wife (whose skill was on the SOL during that time) obtained her PR as a student. So I came over on a spouse visa. 


It was a big move and I'm thankful we did it. It's now our 5th year in Australia. We ended up living in Alice Springs - the veritable arsehole of Australia according to some, even the Aussies. Yes, crime is somewhat rampant here - break-ins, assaults, domestic violence, stabbings, murders, rape, drug smuggling. Weather is extreme too - I remembered one day being 46 degrees max and 37 min a couple summer's back. 


But, we don't mind it here. Jobs are easy to find, and they have heaps of overtime. My first job was a salesman in Dick Smith as a casual worker. I had never used a cash register in my life. But it wasn't difficult - to be a good worker, all you have to do is rock up for work. A good work ethic goes a long way. Too many people in Alice chuck sickies just because they don't feel like coming in. 


In my first job I made around $700 a week on average. Once I hit $1,000 a week, as we had commission (tip: don't get those extended warranties). Not bad for casual. That was an average of 30 hours a week, $19/hr. I was the highest paid casual worker due to my age (30 at the time). 


But get this: My first day working casual Down Under netted me a pay roughly equal to (sometimes less, sometimes more) my job in SG after 5 years! What's more I received increments in the SG job 4 years out of 5. My pay at the end of 5 years was SGD3,000 a month.


Singaporeans complain about high taxes in Australia, but in reality, the take home is usually higher. I'm no accountant and I'm terrible with numbers, but you can take it from me.


Now I work in law enforcement (one good thing about serving National Service - job experience!). Might as well cash in on the crime spree or what? With overtime, we hit 100k pretty easy. My colleague hit $175,000 by working every day last financial year. That's a paycheck of $5,000 and above a fortnight, insane. 


Alice is a place to make money and get ahead. But obviously not many stay for the long-term because of the climate and the isolation of the place. I'm not showing off by mentioning these numbers - anyone with half a brain can work here. As mentioned, all you need to do, is rock up for work :) 


It's just remarkable (and very joyous) to me that normal everyday jobs can pay well. Like how my dad remarked when he visited: "Eh how come the construction workers are all angmoh?"


Also, it's good to see that Australia isn't homogeneous like Singapore. Can't find a good job in the city, there's always remote locales where you can ply your trade - and they probably pay better too. Hate academia? Study and work as a carpenter, or do checkout in Woolies or Coles and work your way up to a manager's position. Everyone can afford rent, a car, and eventually a mortgage in Australia - you just have to wise about where you put your dollars. 


And you have absolute freedom to decide just where each cent goes. Just look at superannuation: You can decide down to the finest detail where (and in which fund, there's countless superannuation funds) you invest your retirement funds, and in what ratio. This was a little overwhelming to me because CPF doesn't give you a choice. 


And don't get me started on the unions in Australia - what you mean workers can negotiate with management? How absurd! In SG where the best bit of the unions are the grocery discount vouchers!


We've got a little 2.5 year old as well, so I relate to your sharing about Albany :) 


If you ever decide to visit the Red Centre, hit us up! 


Cheers,


Hello M*,


I salute you for moving to the "middle of nowhere." I would like to know how you ended up there, if you have the time. I would have done it for a job if I have to, in the past or the future. Though I have a job now and the searing heat in Alice Spring is a daunting prospect, I cannot count out the possibility of ending up there one day. Who knows? 


I'm glad you get paid well for the trouble. Thank you for generously sharing the figures of your previous jobs. I hope more people will share these with me so that I (as well as any interested) will know the place better. A higher remuneration for working at certain locations is new to most Singaporeans. It is hard to imagine a scenario where jobs in Clementi pay more than those in Tampines. However, this is very common in Australia. Many Singaporeans, including myself, cannot imagine how big this country is and how greatly places differ be it weather, lifestyle, geographical properties, the way people work and play. Therefore, it is possible to find a good paying job in a place transient town. Darwin is one such place, although the Australian government is trying to grow the it into a vibrant city. Alice Spring though, is definitely a place to make money and leave for now.


Please relay the message to your Malay friend who is living and working in a remote town in WA. I hope I can hear from Singaporeans who is living in unusual places or working unconventional jobs. It is very encouraging to know that there are adventurous Singaporeans out there who have the balls as big as their comfort zone. Hope we will get to read yours stories from "Middle Earth" again.


asingaporeanson