The Calm Before the Storm

There wasn't enough rest over the weekend which I really yearned for over the week. Sadly, it will be a torrid week ahead without rejuvenation. We woke early on Saturday to lend a little helping hand to Eugene's friends living nearby at Southern River. As a token as appreciated we were invited to stay for lunch.

It was a couple from China with one daughter. The lady of the house was pregnant with another child as well, due April. I could see that she was a seasoned cook the way she managed her procedures during cooking. She didn't prove me wrong, the output was quite fantastic like what Patrick my fellow Singaporean mate would have churn out.

There was a big bowl of abalone soup. Her husband from Fuzhou, caught 100 of them earlier on and we are reaping his efforts. Hongying, our hostess from Szechuan, encouraged Jen to have more soup as it was good for the baby. I was busily picking tofu, home-made sausages (not shown in pic) because they tasted real good. She also served us homemade preserved vegetables.

The Saturday lunch spread and the little girl of the house
Sunday was packed with activities as well. We had to drive to Melville to borrow the big van from Scott, the boyfriend of Grace the Singaporean nurse, again. Then we drove that van back to Hongying's place and the guys loaded the refrigerator which Eugene loaned them some time back. Then we unloaded the fridge at Eugene's.

From now on, we have our own fridge to use for the first time instead of sharing. It's a very important event because we really need that space when the baby comes. No - not to freeze the baby but to store food and breast milk and stuff.

Right after returning the van, we went straight to Patrick's place for another great meal (pity I didn't take the pictures) and a long chat. We returned home late and slept immediately. I didn't get to sleep as much as I wanted though for it was Baby Appointment Day early this morning again.

Woke at 7am and we went. Everything seems ok. Jen was pleased and bought 8 Magnum Ice Cream for $10.00 despite my protests. There are 7 left now. Burp. I could sleep for an hour and a half perhaps, before I go to work?

Meanwhile baby's has grown bigger. She has finally outgrown the Ikea measuring tape.


Eugene's sunflowers bloomed and the remaining hen in his garden laid a few eggs. Little things that delighted me. It's all calm now but the next few weeks will be calamity. Eugene's dad is coming, so will my mother-in-law. With Eugene's mother-in-law already here, there is not enough rooms for everyone. We were contemplating renting the rooms from Hongying instead. Just a thought.

Before long the baby will come, I hope we'll cope and get things settled down before that. Hopefully my mother-in-law is ok with room sharing. We'll probably stay put then.

There are 4 corn cobs behind the Sunflowers if you can recognise them

2 comments: