Forrestdale - Discovering the Lost Kampong Feel

On Sunday we looked at the map, looking for somewhere to go. The options were aplenty but we decided to choose somewhere nearer to where we stay. There was a huge lake on the map in the middle of a suburb named Forrestdale. It was a merely 2 suburbs away, perhaps a 15-20 minutes drive?

On the way, we passed by Southern River, the suburb between us and our destination. It looked like any residential suburbs we were accustomed to. Something like that:


And a house in Southern River would look something like that:


So we did not expect what we would be seeing in Forrestdale, the neighbouring suburb of Southern River. Within the first minute of driving into Forrestdale, Jen and I both gave a surprised yelp and pulled over to the side of the road. This was what we saw:


Forrestdale was not rural land. It was just a normal residential area, just that it wasn't as normal as the rest. The plot size of each house was huge (to me) as compared to any other new suburbs you would find. This place was a total contrast to its Southern River neighbour. You would feel that you had entered a different world which you were in just 5 minutes ago.

The entire place was rustic and serene. It was like Wessex Estate in Singapore but bigger, more rustic and it felt so much more free in the sense people could seemingly do whatever they want, within limits of course. Within very big limits.

These goats look like they are reared as hobby rather than professionally

And that's just somebody's front yard, not a farm or something

So we drove deeper into Forrestdale
Another secret unlocked in today's post. I tired to build a treehouse on the Rain-Tree in front of the exercise facilities ground at Block 10 of Holland Village when I was an eight-year old boy. I walked around the neighboorhood and did my own analysis. That tree was the most suitable one. Away from human traffic, at the edge of a slope which led down to Holland Avenue. Perfect.

I was stopped by some RC people before I could finish my project. Too bad. That was the end of my TreeHouse dream. Mr Gan Kim Yong, MP of Chua Chu Kang, did approved of some guy to build a treehouse in Teck Whye some 20 years later though. It was not a bad attempt and I appreciated the idea, unusual in Singapore. Just a pity like many projects in Singapore such as the highest man-made waterfall, Volcano Land, Dinosaur Trail etc, it was not quite real enough. It is not that I ask for too much. Can I just say they gave us too much?

Instead of spending millions of such projects (and demolishing them after they flopped), I would have love to play in one of these as a kid, perhaps even as an adult. Less than a hundred bucks to build using waste materials, minimal maintenance, no entry fees for visitors. Something as simple as this:

This is smaller than the one I tried building but equally awesome

Somebody's home in Forrestdale - take a closer look at the red exclamation

The owner parked a ... bus(?) in this yard permanently. Probably it became his workshop now.

Life here was significantly different from other suburbs. Dogs were unleashed but well behaved. There was very minimal boundaries and demarcation between all houses. The houses did not look homogenous, each of them displayed traces of their owner's hard work, creativity put in over the years and depicted its unique charm. It truly reflected some kind of Kampong Spirit feel, Australian style.

The residents living here were friendly. Most of them looked at us as if we were aliens. Guess we were, in a way. But all of them we made eye contact with were friendly enough to give at least a full hearted wave. A pair of half naked teens whom spotted us taking a picture of their house early on even shouted "Hi!"as they smiled and waved when they saw us driving back the second time. I gave them a 'thumbs up' gesture, referring to both their friendliness and their awesome house.


Another family's house. It does have a very Malaysian feel to it. I love it!

The last cottage we saw just outside the Lake Reserve

We finally reached. It's of International Importance. Don't play play.

Wow, species learning and then at closer look at the map...

Wonder if there is an Ah Gong living here as well

14 comments:

  1. Good on ya mate! is an Aussie way of saluting someone as gutsy as you. Although we belong to a different generation of Singaporean leaving the comfort zone of our island home to work and live in another country,I feel that you are sharing the same dream as me. I left Singapore 39 years ago and I am still living my dream everyday.

    Cheers,
    Phil
    P/S
    Over the years, I have collected some traditonal recipes to overcome any homesickness when nostalgia strikes. Please visit my blog for some of the recipes to cook for your expectant wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work my friend and follow Singaporean! I studied in Perth (UWA) and moved to Brisbane for work and sort of stayed. It's been about 10 years for me now.

    I read all your blog, up to this post, in under 40mins and I am very impressed. Fatherhood has made you strong! I know it will be hard at first, but keep working on it and life will reward you!

    Oh, the red rashes you are getting? Sensitive skin due to the dry conditions. Use moisturizers and you will be fine. Same goes for the cuts that don't go very deep and doesn't seem to heal. Perth is a very dry place unlike in Singapore which is constantly humid.

    I learned it the hard way when I first arrived in Perth like you.

    Keep up the great work mate! :)

    Jeff Lim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've requested you to add me as a friend on facebook. :)

    Jeff Lim

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jeff: Thanks for reading. I'm very impressed you are able to read all my posts without falling asleep too.

    My rashes are gone. Everyone is right, it is dryness related. It's ok now, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Uncle Phil

    Hi Uncle Phillip:

    It's an honor to have your visit n comment. Thank you for your encouragement. Though I don't have the living my dream feel yet, I know the stage I am going through is necessary to have a chance of achieving it.

    Being here for 39 years, I have no doubt you had achieve many of your goals and living the life you love. I am happy for you. Hopefully one day I could too.

    Thank you for sharing your blog. I have already chanced upon it a few years ago when I was in Singapore when I was searching for more information about moving to Australia. The recipes will definitely come useful. I enjoy cooking and they will be a good help to me. Now that my wife has also taken note of your blog, I'm sure I can have even better food in days to come.

    Once again, thanks for leaving a word. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I live in Harrisdale, a suburb between Southern River and Forrestdale, and guess what I have not been to the lake. Shame on me, I think I will take a drive there this weekend.

    Some thing you might like to know - Drive along Nicholson road till you come to Thomas Road. Turn right heading west. Along Thomas Road, there are couple of strawberries farm that you can buy really fresh strawberries, at a price cheaper than supermarket. They also have a host of vegetables, farm eggs and romas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Alvin: the lake is dry now, for some reasons.

    We were disappointed so we went to Champion Lakes after that. It's also nearby and it's quite nice. I haven't post anything on that.

    We have a Singaporean friend working as a nurse here and she had bought a land in Harrisdale. Construction will begin soon. Small world.

    We'll take note about the farms and visit them this weekend if we could. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not been to Champion Lakes either.Shame on me again. OK I must take a drive this weekend.

    I reckon your friend bought the land at the new estate called Harrisdale Green. It's pretty nice and well planned with shops and facilities. A good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Alvin: she may had bought that place, i gotta check with her since i will be seeing her this weekend.

    Can you tell me more about Harrisdale? Why did you rent or buy the place? We went past the suburb before, it looks like Punggol with all the new roads and housing plots fenced up.

    Looks like something big is brewing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harrisdale is a very new suburb, actually a lot of people still have not heard of it. You will not see much if you just drive past on Ranford Road or Warton Rd. You will have to turn into Wrights Road or Harrisdale Road in order to get a good feel of the surrounds. It is not very big and has four estates. The 3 established ones are

    Vertu - the one I am staying in
    Heron Park
    Arion Park

    Harrisdale Green - the latest and newest so it does look like Punggol for now..

    As usual,Bunnings, Coles, Woolworth and IGA are all nearby.
    It has easy access via Ranford Road or Nicholson Road. Warton Road takes you to Cockburn Shopping centre to the West and The Vale to the East.

    Ranford Road takes you to Livinston Shopping Mall and Market City(Canningvale Market). There will also be more shops and cafe coming soon. From the drawings it may look like a Subiaco or Hay St. Maybe a little bit of Holland Village(Not sure tho).

    The parks are all very nicely intersperse with the houses. Cycling and walking is great.

    Asian Groceries are easily available. A Good Restaurant called Penang Delight is located at The Vale(You might have been there).

    Rent or Buy ? - I guess in the long run it always make sense to own. In order to save Stamp duty, buying the land and have a builder build your house is a good option. Building process tho is a good learning curve for me. I went with a decently reputable builder and am satisfied with the outcome. However my neighbor was not so lucky and had to endure a long delay with his builder.

    If you like you can always visit me over the weekend and I can show you some display homes nearby.

    My email is alvinong54@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Alvin: I'll be happy to visit ! Thanks for the brilliant shared info!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sent me an email, I will give you my phone number

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, asingaporeanson looks like you are settling in well. I feel so encouraged to read the postings btw you and
    other Singaporeans who have settled in Australia. Am
    currently doing research on moving down under. Seen a migration consultant recently and was advise to apply for retirees visa 'cos of age. Hope to get more tips from you and others. Cheers , all the best to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Terry: dear sir,

    unfortunately I am not familiar with retirees visa. I guess this time round, you should tell me more so I can share with the others.

    My tips would always be on the mental side. i.e. making sure you really want to move. because migration is not a small issue and little things that you are not prepared for would make to doubt your decision and ponder about turning back.

    Perhaps you can share with me here, or email if you are not comfortable to post publicly.

    Keep me updated of your processes, I will be happy to hear them

    ReplyDelete