Mandurah - Crab Catching on Xmas

I like to listen to family traditions. Close knitted families always have some sort of them be it a heirloom, a secret recipe or some interesting practices. The Tan family (Eugene's) has a tradition to share. I can see Eugene trying very hard to establish a family and run it with their own beliefs and values. He seemed to be very sure in what he is doing and has an explanation for every action.

For example:
Little Erwin having a wild time in a make-shift pool in the garden
I saw this when I returned home from grocery shopping. Erwin was absolutely delighted when he saw me. Every time he sees me it must have meant 'Play' in his mind. I think he likes me. He immediately went hysterical in the little pool and splashed water towards me cheekily. The glass door between us saved me from getting wet. I could faintly hear his laughters and shrieks from since.

I turned and raised an eyebrow at Eugene, who was watching a movie on his computer in the living room. He gave a short laugh and said, "Oh! That's for him to cool down. Summer's hot!" That's not one of the traditions of his family I was refering to, by the way. It was just that each time I thought I had seen it all, I was proven wrong shortly.

Now the tradition. Each year during Christmas or Boxing Day, his family will drive to Mandurah, a beautiful well known water-side town about 65km south of us, to catch crabs. This has been on-going for probably 3-4 years, as according to Eugene. So far, many families new to Perth followed his family there to try it out. This year, his regular partner Uncle Lai was caught up with work. So was another family. Another couple of people who joined him previously had apparently returned to their respective countries in Vietnam and China. No one would be joining his family this time round.

He decided to go ahead with his plans no matter. He couldn't not go. His daughter Phoenix was so determined to go despite looking pale and sick since morning. Numerous vomits throughout the day didn't falter her certitude to go crabbing. Eugene knew he couldn't disappoint Phoenix. I looked on and wasn't sure if I would obliged if I was in his shoes.

We decided to tag along. I was curious what was the big idea about the whole thing. At the same time, we would give  a helping hand they could do with by taking a passenger off their crowded car so Phoenix would feel more comfortable.

We embarked together, I drove and followed Eugene's car from behind with Jen, the MIL and Sandy with me. The journey was considered not that smooth with Eugene stopping to allow Phoenix to puke once and then having gotten lost once or twice in Mandurah. Finally we reached the place. We missed the chance to take pictures of the breathtaking sunset we witnessed when we reached Mandurah because we were still searching for the destination at that time.

That was the best Jen had:

It was much better earlier, with the sky as the rainbow
Soon the sky turned completely dark. Eugene urged me to moved in the water myself while he took care of his own preparations. I did and plodded suspiciously into the pitch darkness.


The place was fascinating. I wondered how it looked in the day. The waves were extremely gentle compared to some other coast spots in Mandurah. What was most impressive was that I could walk for 1 or 2 km out from the coastline and the water would not even reach my knee level. In fact it would be always around the ankle level. Well ok, I'm ignorant and ill-travelled go ahead and laugh. But when was the last time YOU were amazed by things? It was an awesome feeling, no?

It felt a bit scary to turn back and realised how far you were from the coastline. I shuddered the first time I did that. If I were to go that far in Singapore at night, I swore I would be swept to Batam by morning. Regrettably, it was very difficult to express this experience in words. You have to be here to do it and understand. Even a picture that paints a thousand words could not be applicable here, an impossible night shot beyond my abilities.

Meanwhile, the Tan family got ready and were raring to go. Boy, they were WELL PREPARED!

!!!?!

No one, I mean no one takes his young daughter and son 1 km out in the sea in a inflated toy boat in Singapore. Over here, you couldn't stop Eugene from doing it. When he said family crabbing outing, he meant it. His wife, mother-in-law and children joined him right out there out in the sea. He had everything ready. Torch lights, crabbing tools and a styrofoam box to store his catch floating gingerly along.

Jen as well as the MIL came along with me for a while. We had a decent time in spite of the grumbling MIL. I made a mental note to come again with Jen again without people who are disinterested. We will make a brilliant team as usual and have a good time. I am very sure Jen feels the same way. She will give me a peck and tell me I was right when she reads this. And we will. Next Christmas perhaps? Will any of you join us?

The trick to catching crabs here, is to do it at night. According to Eugene, the reflection of the clear water is too distracting in the day. On top of that, you may get a bad sun burn at the end of the day. So it is better to do it at night. Basically, you shine the torch around and try to spot a crab. Once you see one, you sweep and try to catch it. That's how simple the whole thing is and that's probably what makes it fun for all.



We were not so lucky this year. It was a little too 'cold' this Christmas. Apparently the warmer the day, the more crabs there would be. If we revisit on a hotter day in Jan or Feb, we would likely come back with 2 full crates of crabs like Eugene did on the previous year. Not this time though, we ended the 3 hour adventure with only 6 crabs.

Eugene got 2 boxes full of crabs last year. Better luck next year!
I'm not sure about you, but after this I understood why Phoenix insisted to come despite feeling quite sick. It was all pretty fun. Miraculously, she recovered by the time we reach home at around 2300hrs and was giggling beside me while I provoke the crabs in the box.

The crabs met their unfortunate end on Boxing Day as snacks after dinner.

10 comments:

  1. OMGssss..... I missed something interesting..... I wanna go for crabbing.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish i'm there in Perth!

    and... why do i keep hearing about people leaving to go back (to Vietnam, China, Singapore etc). Do share their stories someday.

    blinkywink

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lionel, it was beautiful but we couldn't quite capture it.
    @ Peyning: you haven't missed it. It's here till summer ends
    @Blinkywink: hmmmm, maybe i will. thank you and if u ever come to Perth, tell me ok

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raptor: Haha... yah... remember going crabbing in Perth too... not too sure which beach it was... Caught like 2 sacks of crabs with my instructors and friends... during NS days when I was stationed in Perth... we went crabbing near dusk... quite fun to see the crabs open up their pincers when they see you then you just scoop them up ... :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. @raptor: 2 sacks!! I hardly see any when i went :(
    it's too cold, according to them.. shd be more v soon. hope one day will be able to catch with my frens. but again, i normally ask my frens not to come during summer..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remembered my uni friends doing it. They say it was so easy! Shine torch, find crab and then just scoop it up!

    They ended up with two big boxes of them but had to give them away as we were sick of crabs after a week of eating them! The fridge was stuffed full of the critters! LOL...

    Catching mud crabs here in Brisbane is different thought but still fun (feeding mozzies)!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow looks like fun!!

    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jeff: I prob go at the wrong time. Not enough crabs to do that :(
    Yeah the moxxies are coming! :(

    @Julia: u like these? I didn't know :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. dude... I am there as planned this year, I want to join you guys for the crabbing session at Christmas, if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete