Goldilocks' Efficiency

I actually added a picture of my first successful plate of humble fried rice upon request.


Today I did my first data collection of Goldilocks' fuel consumption.



With 28.25 litres of fuel, Goldilocks gave me 429km of mileage 
Thus it worked out to be (429/28.25)  about 15km/L

There are 2 main reasons I do occasional fuel consumption calculations:


1) With this, I could actually calculate how much it cost for me to drive to work. The distance from the place I stay to my work location is 30km. The total two-way distance is 60km, it will take 4L off the tank per working day. If I use the petrol price for the last 3 months on the range of A$1.20 per litres to A$1.50 per litres, it will cost me A$4.80 - 6.00 to travel to work per day just base on fuel alone, not inclusive of other running costs of the car. Expensive indeed.


2) When fuel consumption of your car trends up, it is time to take note what are the causes. Some factors could be driving habits such as over-acceleration or excessive braking, choice of routes, traffic, tyre pressure, load in the car (a full tank of fuel is also a load), engine performance, servicing routines, tact with air conditioner/heater, excessive idling etc etc. Many times, we could actually pick up what went wrong and correct them.


In short it is all about dollars and cents. For the extent of traveling we do, it is not something we should be casual about unless you kind of enjoy the kind of unique activities such as shredding dollar notes. For Goldilocks, 15km/L wasn't bad to start off with. The cruise control function it came with probably helped save some fuel as I cruised the entire ROE highway every evening after work.


The drive improved so much after the brake pads and CV joint replacement. Now that fuel consumption was found to be ok, it was actually a decent rushed buy.

1 comment:

  1. For a 1.5L car, its fuel consumption should be about there provided that its rims were not upsized.
    It also depends on your right foot whether light or heavy and the ratio of highway and city driving, travel more on highway will have a better fuel economy.
    Travel in peak or off peak hours due to traffic jams also play a big part in saving fuel.
    Lastly, travel with an optimum speed about 80-90km/h on the highway and service your car every 10k km if synthetic oil is used will help to save fuel.

    ReplyDelete