Happy Birthday, Good Buddy

2011 marked the 20th year we acquainted.

This year, I knew I couldn't celebrate your birthday with you physically. I wanted you guys, all of you, to join me in the HK trip before I left Singapore for awhile. It was regrettable we didn't pull it off, at least not in the way both Tuck and I would love it to be.

In the past 2 decades, we became friends, buddies and formed a brotherhood.

I showed you your first guitar note, thereafter gladly saw you surpass me in the trade. You were my team mate in my first soccer team. We joined the same curricular activities in school and studied in the same tertiary institutions. From puberty, I watched from the sidelines as you morph into a mature gentleman and then participated in your wedding. Through the years, I witnessed your happiness, anger and tears.

It had been 20 years since we gave you a goldbar paper weight and toilet rolls with messages as your birthday present. I bet you could still remember. We had drifted apart a little, I blamed myself for not putting the necessary efforts to maintain our friendship in the same state of the glory days. I hope we could still do it.

I learnt that you were angry with me for leaving Singapore so soon from the text you sent me 2 days ago. I'm sorry my friend, but we have circumstances that do not allow us to do otherwise. I hope I will have the opportunity to share with you personally when I'm back.

Separately, just wanted to clarify we are living Jenny's dreams to live and work in Australia. My dream is to own a sustainable, profitable business - that has never changed before, I'm sure you are aware. I am still hungry and never gave up my dreams. Perhaps one day, I'll be back in Singapore to fulfill this wish should it be impossible for me to do so in Australia. Living in the same estate as YK and you sound totally great to me.

With that, I wish you a very happy birthday. Good health, good wealth, good joy to you my brother and may all your dreams come true.


Always,

CYH


2 comments:

  1. Thank you brother. The "angry" part lasted anything but s few minutes. I could never be really angry at you or Tuck.

    I still have the gold bar paperweight. Toilet paper (printed with brain teasers n jokes) put to good use.

    Our bonds will always be there. Strong as ever no matter how far we're apart.
    If you don't come back, I'll go and look for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a good dinner with your family. You always put family first, which is good. I like that.

    Hope to see you soon, regardless the location.

    ReplyDelete