Our Anniversary

Dear Jen,

We have known each other for 10.5 years. Days just slipped by routinely and then the years. Our lives changed drastically since we gotten married 2 years ago, on this very day.

We moved in together after we got married and lived there harmoniously with my parents for a year. From the new living arrangement, you have to bear with a gruel commute to work everyday. Our HDB flat was still building-in-process but we got married anyway rendering the dumb impervious BTO scheme inconsequential. We conceived Albany a year after in spite of, again, not having our own HDB flat yet in which many of our peers regard as a pre-requisite to family planning.

We didn't want to pin all our hopes entirely on moving to Australia as we might not get the approval to. That was why we lumbered on, applying for a HDB flat and having child. Life had to go on.  A few months later, I received the Australian visa that we applied a long while ago. I had probably forgotten about it and had almost given up on it by then. So we had to decide to carry on the Singapore grind or risk everything we had got to make that audacious move to Perth.

This anniversary is a strange one. It coincides with the Lunar Chinese New Year. But we have no celebration here. Neither is there a feast. We even have to make another visit to the hospital. Today may represent the peak of my homesickness. I tried not to think about what my family and friends are doing in Singapore today. I usually meet my buddies for a great chat up after home visits these 2 days. It had always been great, with thin traffic and good parking everywhere.

Looking back, we came a long way through this frantic 2 years. Other than my 2.5 years in the army, this 2 years must be the most defining. I heard by somewhere everyone encounters a big change every decade or so of their lives. Whatever it is, I'm glad I do not walk this path alone. With you around, I have courage.

Happy anniversary my dear. May we have many good ones in the years to come.

14 comments:

  1. very touching...jen will be very touched

    ah pooh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Wedding Anniversary! and Kong Hee Huat Chye!
    Cheers,
    Uncle Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you and Jen.

    I am looking forward to feast and chat with you and Jen and Albany soon !

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pooh: Thanks for reading the blog even in CNY?!

    @Uncle Phil: Thank you and happy CNY to your family

    @Pat: Happy New Year Pat. Yes, I look forward to it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary and happy CNY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary and Gong Xi Fa Cai!!!
    YNWA
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thomas, Wish you Bu Bu Gao Sheng, Cai Yuan Guang Jing

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary to you and your wife, and a very Happy Chinese New Year too! :)
    ~ SydneyLibrarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank SL, I wish your family and yourself a great CNY as well. Good wealth, good health!

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary!! You know, I hope you still remember the photo album thingy... Cuz I still wanna do it up for you.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still remember, but just too caught up with things for a long time...

      Delete
  9. I'm late but still..

    Happy Anniversary~!! =D

    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia, I miss chatting with u in msn

      Delete