Migrating by the Teaching Profession

I know nuts about teaching. I don't even know the difference between 'kindie' or 'pre-school' at this moment. So asking me about education is very well like asking a cobbler how to flip bottles in the air over a wine counter. Fortunately I knew someone who knows these stuff. She told me to edit her answer which I didn't. Do I look like an editor? My mind couldn't help but drifted to the disgusting thoughts of 'SPH editors.' Anyway, it was unnecessary. It was clear for anyone reading this that the reply was casually crafted in conversion mode so who cares about grammar mistakes? Can't teachers make grammar mistakes? Even school principals look for under age prostitutes.

Thank you M for your contribution.

Some school place in Perth

J is thinking of doing a Post Grad Diploma in Education and applying for a teacher position. Maybe you can help him out here?


Firstly, I think it's impt to note that if you come here to study with intentions to return to sing to teach it's ok. Although, the moe in sing will gladly pay for your studies plus give u allowance for it and grant you a job confirm plus chop. 

But that said it sounds like you want to study here and work at the same time. Which brings me to the next point.... I am assuming you are not oz PR. Which, in this case means you are here as international student on study. Student visa, fr my understanding grants you 20hours work week on part time. Your visa is based on your length of study. 

Post grad teaching should grant you teaching license but you will need to apply for it. Amounts to $300 yearly. You can check the website: http://www.trb.wa.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

Or google teachers registration board Western Australia. In that site also tells you the list of recognized teaching courses for applying the license. It is very very very impt to note however, to apply for license you need a working visa or PR to get a license. In other words, without a proper visa you will not be able to get any job and employers will not employ as well. 

If your intention is to do a post grad to apply for PR. I have friends who are doing this with not guaranteed on successful application. They, from my knowledge, are paying about 52k aud for masters in education for 2 years course in secondary or early childhood (these are the only courses applicable for PR as they are the teachers WA needs if your intention is Perth. These will differ for other states hence, you need to check for the required skills for the various states). 

My friends doing these have clear intentions for using them to apply pr after 2 years. They do also know it's not 100% guaranteed success. If you only intend to do a post grad dip. I will suggest you do this for secondary education. It's a one year course at UWA. But please check out and do more research on your status and standing for PR application if that's your intention. This is an area I am not familiar with and I am not sure if a 1 year course will suffice for PR application as your visa will be just one year based on course. One year course is est. to be approx half of 52k aud international student rates. If you still have questions feel free to ask... If I am not sure I can redirect you to my friend who is doing this course. She is pretty informed due to her plans to migrate here. 

Have a lovely week! M


  1. We can look at the priority skills list. It states all the jobs in demand throughout Australia, including teaching. There is also the state job shortage skill list as well.

  2. There are certain IELTS requirements as well. Plus, a one year course does not entitle you to any migration points. Hence, if one would like to go through the education route to migrate via a GSM visa, he or she would likely not have enough points to lodge the EOI.

  3. In certain states, they have an influx of teachers. Unless you want to teach at remote/rural areas. They need teachers there. ~ Sarah

  4. Currently it is hard for grads in Primary Education to get a teaching position in public schools as there is an over-supply. However there is a shortage of secondary school maths and science teachers. I think it's safe to assume it will be so for the short to mid-term (say 4-5 years). So the chances are better for those who do secondary education with a major if not a minor in maths.