Investor Retirement Visa (Subclass 405)

Referring to the comment here [link],


Thanks for your concern on the Retiree Program but no worries. All retiree Programs only want you to deposit money with them and you are self sufficient, money wise. In Australia's case, put in A$500k and proof that you have A$60k income per year and they give you a 4 year visa. You cover your own health insurance and must not have dependants. Pau jiak one for them. 

I bet many sinkie baby boomer retirees will be headed that way in the next 10 years after selling their million dollar apartments. It is much cheaper in Bolehland if all else fails, their Silver Hair Program that is.

SME Owner

Dear SME Owner,

For your benefit, I did a quick search for you. The below are the current requirements of Visa Subclass 405 and my short notes in blue.


Your application may only include your partner. You and your partner must not have any dependants.
Straightforward. You bring along if partner if any. No kids or other dependants allowed in the application.

Visa validity period

The Investor retirement visa is a temporary visa that allows you to stay in Australia for four years. There is an option to apply for further Investor retirement visas which will allow you to stay for a further four years, however you will need to meet the requirements to be granted a subsequent visa. As long as you continue to satisfy the visa requirements you can keep applying for subsequent Investor Retirement visas.
This is a temporary visa with a validity of 4 years, extendable. But this visa does not lead to eligibility to apply for a Permanent Visa.


You must have assets valued at least AUD750 000. These assets will enable you (or you and your partner) to meet initial settlement and ongoing costs of living in Australia.
The assets must be:
  • legally owned and lawfully acquired by you (or you and your partner)
  • capable of and available for, transfer to Australia.
Asset value must be a minimum of A$750,000 instead of A$500,000. I know that probably isn't a problem to you. I'm not sure if A$500,000 was the previous requirement. If it is, it's bad news. It may well be A$1million next year.

Do note that it is crucial to find out what do they mean by your assets being capable of and available for transfer to Australia. Sometimes these requirements look deceptively simple. It pays to check it out thoroughly. But if you are planning to bring A$750k bucks over in cash, I don't think anyone will be unhappy with that.

Exception: If you intend to live in regional Australia you must have assets valued at least AUD500 000.
There is a rather big difference between Metropolitan Australia and Regional Australia. In general, migrants from Singapore do not think about living in regional Australia. For someone like me, perhaps. I'm believe I'm fully capable of doing so. My only gripe is leaving my friends behind in metro Perth. You are here for retirement, not seclusion. So I seriously doubt so.

Note: You must have held all of the assets listed above for 2 years prior to you lodging your application, unless the assets are related to superannuation and/or inheritance. If you are intending to sell assets in relation to your move to Australia, the department recommends that you wait until after your visa is approved. If you need to sell assets to meet the requirements of this visa you should carefully consider whether you will be able to finance your ongoing stay in Australia, particularly in the longer term. The assets are in addition to the funds required to make the designated investment.
More shit to take note.


You (or you and your partner combined) must have access to a minimum net income of AUD65 000 (for example, pension rights).
Exception: If you intend to live in regional Australia you must have access to a minimum income of AUD50 000.
Do take note if you need to sell assets to meet the A$750,000 requirement, you have to ensure a A$65,000 annual income coming in from somewhere else. These are mutually exclusive. In short, on top of transferable assets worth S$975,000, you need to ensure an additional independent income source of around S$84,500 per annum. That sounds another S$1,200,000 worth of assets lying around somewhere generation about 7% yield for you yearly. (Assuming you are no longer working)

Thus in total, that works out to be around S$2million.

SME Owner, I've told many people around me before. If I have 2 million bucks, I'm not sure if I would even leave Singapore. For what?!


  1. For more space.

    For cooler climate.

    For a more civilised society.

  2. "If I have 2 million bucks, I'm not sure if I would even leave Singapore. For what?!"

    if that's what you think, then you are wrong mate...
    you'll move for greater space, greater freedom, more time for the family, and to ensure your children don't go through the sh*t education system...

  3. For the freedom to think and the time to reflect. That life is not just for the pursuit of material things and keeping up with the Joneses. Time to show compassion, empathy and forgiveness, which is actually quite therapeutic to the soul.

    I wish you and your family well!

  4. Nix,

    Thanks for taking the trouble to find out all the info. I was looking at Tasmania, that’s why I was looking at the A$500k figure. I agree with many of the comments before me on the space and climate. We do not have children so will only have to care for ourselves.

    But, there are other options other than the Retiree Program. One of them is to enrol in a tertiary course and go as a student. Study something for the fun of it and not have to plonk down so much money for the visa. There are many interesting courses, both at degree and associate degree levels. I am eyeing a program being conducted in Margaret River.

    Then again, I may not want to spend all the time in Australia. In which case, a tourist visa for 3 months during the hotter months in S’pore is sufficient. Singapore will still be a base for the foreseeable future unless something drastic happens.

    SME Owner

  5. Is the aud50k retirement income subject to income tax in australia?