Spouse Visa and Work Eligibility

I have been reading your blog which is very informative.

I read that you went to Perth via partner visa. Can I ask is it difficult to be converted to a permanent resident? How long can the person stay in Australia under partner visa? Under the partner visa, will the person have difficulty in finding a job or is partner visa consider as pr?

Thanks for your help and advise, appreciate it.


Hi Clo,

The partner temporary Visa (Subclass 309) allows the holder to:
  • Enter Australia and stay until a decision is made about the permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).
  • Work in Australia
  • Study in Australia (without government funding)
  • Enroll in Medicare

If your relationship is ongoing two years after your partner temporary visa, you will be eligible to apply for a permanent visa (Subclass 100) which allow you to:
  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (depending on eligibility)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence

There is no difference between these 2 visas in terms of the eligibility to work.


1 comment: