The first culture .. surprise

Just felt like doing a short one on this. It happened on the 3rd day of my arrival and I thought it would be a sin to leave this experience out of my diary.

It was Monday and Joanna was out. We planned to visit Belmont to open the bank accounts and visit Medicare.  Bus 37 of Transperth would gladly take us there, for a price of $2.60 each. No, this was not the surprise I was referring to. In fact, I am considering changing the title based on this alone. Haha.

Anyway, we board and found a seat for both of us.  Jenny pointed to the front pockets near the driver's seat and told me it would be a good idea to get a brochure of the bus so we would know the entire bus route to aid us for future traveling.  So I made my way to the driver's and began rummaging around the pockets.  The driver was (the first surprise) helpful enough to turn and gave me a few friendly words of advise as for which brochure to look out for because the pockets actually holds not just route guides for this bus but also for various numbers. He even encouraged me to take the entire stack out and take my time to search for what I needed.  Did all that with eye contact while managing his drive.  Maybe I am over-reacting about this but it is a fact I have encountered nothing of this sort in my entire 33 years with Singapore bus drivers.

When I reseated myself, I saw a young handsome man gave up his seat so instinctively to an elderly woman with a shopping cart. He was just 2 seats behind me and his actions made me a bit awkward but still I was impressed with his act of chivalry.

We finally alighted at Belmont Forum, an elderly man who alighted with us approached us. We were prepared to mutter the standard, "We are new here and don't know the way too." answer but the elderly man completed our hat trick of surprises in a single bus ride.

"Are you lost? I saw you guys looking at the bus routes and I thought you are lost. I could give you some directions."

Perth can be indeed a cold, bleak place for Asian settlers like us who are genuinely lost in starting out.  Perhaps it is the way people are sparsely spaced out here which make humans generally happier to see another on the streets. These little acts make the place warmer than the the ending winter actually is.

4 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience visiting Melbourne as a tourist.
    We were looking at a map, while walking around along the streets and random strangers approached us asking if we needed help. Not just one.
    It was a pleasant experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sarah: Yeah it's a nice warm fuzzy feeling heh heh

    ReplyDelete
  3. SydneyLibrarian3 April 2012 at 17:54

    You actually made me miss Perth all the more after reading this post! I do remember the friendliness of the people there, and can fully understand what you mean by their little acts of kindness making the place warmer to live in. You don't get this often in Sydney...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing these acts of kindness. It really does make people feel more welcomed.

    ReplyDelete