神食

Penny's Hor Fun
Jialat.


When I came to Perth I lost 7kg within my first 6 months due to the physically straining first job. Within the next 6 months, I gained it all back - and probably more by the end of Winter. More because it was 'normal' to eat more during Winter, just as it was normal to lose weight during Summer because my appetite will wane due to Mr Summer and his evil minions. A bad start to losing weight this summer so far. Look at the picture above. That was my dinner tonight.


We are improving in our cooking skills, particularly Penny and Jen. They have been really adventurous in attempting new stuffs, especially my weakest area in pastry. Jen even made ice cream last week and it was good, but not too good if I want to reduce the waistline to breathe better in my work pants. I'm not complaining about good life. Having home cooked food 95% of the time is good life, in my opinion. [read why] What is interesting is that Jen does not cook at all when we first came. Not saying she is a masterchef of any sort already, but she has improved leaps and bounds over the year. It never fails to amazed me. For the record I've known her for 11 years and there wasn't a moment I could imagine her being a better cook than me one day. It may be a possibility in the future from the looks of it.


I hate to plant a cliche here but it represented our situation best. As the saying goes, there is opportunity in every crisis. Many Singaporeans cannot cook and simply adore the convenient, affordable delicacies we can get within walking distance anywhere where we live. Ask any average commoner in their respective countries outside Singapore how many meals they take outside in a week, I daresay there will not be any which top the average Singaporean. There isn't anything wrong with that. This is a blessing that we should celebrate. But I've heard people who returned to Singapore for good because she missed the wanton noodles in Singapore, or people who don't even want to contemplate moving out of Singapore because they will miss the food so much. Let me assure you this little pseudo crisis is an opportunity for anyone to learn one of the best skills you have acquire in life - cooking. Embrace it.

Karing's Scallopon

We had a BBQ over the weekend. It was interesting enough to write a few posts on it. I would like to highlight something Karing specially whipped up for us over the pit. She didn't come up with a name for it. I'll call it Scallopon. I couldn't decide if that was evilly divine or divinely evil. You should try and decide for yourself.



Separately, when Pat and I were shopping for some stuff to bring to the BBQ, I came across a Christmas special for one of my favourite drinks, Bundaberg Ginger Beer. I was a regular drinker when I was in Singapore. It was a surprise when I came to Perth for a holiday in 2007 to find out it was actually an Australian product. That meant, of course, a better price for the same product as what I would have gotten in Singapore. Believe me, the price of this magic brew is very reasonable even at normal price. At a sale like this one, 10 fucking bottles for 10 bucks! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi -asingaporeanson-,

    If you simply love food, then of course you and I should just ignore all those well-meaning busybodies who go on and on about healthy diet and maintaining optimum weight, blah blah yada yada etc. etc. ;-)

    If, on the other hand you are like me these days, then may I be allowed to share.
    I had decided on my own, that I'm ready to move away from sheer love of food, towards in my case, handling my blood sugar better now, and my cholesterol and blood pressure for a scarier future that has yet to arrive.

    I slashed my processed carbohydrate intake, and switched to the more grainy kind.
    Mortal enemies to my diabetes are awfully sweet drinks, piles of carbs and lots of starchy gravies, so I broke up my steady relationships with them.

    I chose to feel hungry more often, and become very fussy with what I really, really like and want to eat.
    Surprisingly to me, I get these days to eat more meats, including fish, without preferring fats, and my favourite soy(a) bean products, without guzzling that super-sweet drink.

    But ironically, when the blood sugar drops to risky lows (an extreme hunger situation called hypoglycemia), I actually get to enjoy some honey or sweets, to prevent collapse!
    And my occasional enjoyment of ondeh ondeh or durian actually helps me avoid outright starvation.

    And I still find it hard to believe that my eating has expanded to enjoying salad, plain yogurt, plain peanuts and multi-grain bread.
    It's also strange that I've returned to less sugar in hot tea and milk coffee, with the occasional sugarless cola thrown in.

    Of course you and I do not enslave ourselves to how others judge what we eat, and I'm so glad I eat even better these days, because I did it my way.

    Bon appetit, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm surprised and grateful that you've added the link to my Simply Words on Blogger.

    Recently I've not written there as much as I would like to, but am glad I strive to keep my words true, as always.

    ReplyDelete