Champion Lakes

Champion Lakes is a very little known suburb in Perth. Most residents in Perth, locals or migrants, probably never heard of the place, let alone visit it. I read a little about the place before. What is distinctive about the place is the 2km man-made lake in the district, planned for local and international water-sports usage. Besides that, this new suburb seemed to be the upcoming place for a big residential construction

I specifically persuaded Jen to visit the 55 hectares lake in Champion Lakes. You don't get a lot of man-made stuffs of this scale in Perth. That alone was enough to arouse my curiosity. I reckon since I was there, I would see how it compares to Venice of Punggol, Singapore. 

There are some interesting coincidences about Champion Lakes and Vernice of Punggol. 

- Firstly, they are both new suburbs (new town) zoned for exciting residential developments in respectively. 

- The distance of Champion Lakes is 23km from Perth CBD, Punggol is 22km from the Singapore CBD.

- Champion Lakes is 2km in length but twice as wide as the 4.2km Vernice of Punggol. They could be very well similar in area.

The unknown suburb, Champion Lakes
That's how the new man made lake looks on the map
There are 2 parts of Champion Lakes, (therefore the plural in the name?). One is a basin at the North-Eastern part of the lake and then of course the 2km stretch for the other part. (Do click on my noobish panoramic pics I took with my hp to have a better view, below)

The basin area
The 2km stretch
The weather was rather kind to us today. I called my mum on the phone and had a really long chat while Jen and I sat on the grass, just metres from the water. It killed off whatever credit I had in my phone and our conversation was eventually cruelly cut of by Optus. It was comfortably breezy and Jen started to take pictures of herself in her boredom. It was a seriously scenic and serene place, I guess it was a natural thing to do.

Not far from us, some local kids were having a ball jumping off the decks into the water. I heard the majority of Australian kids can swim. They made sure of that in school. I could see that. Australians simply adore water sports or any leisure activities close to the water be it frolicking, fishing or having a BBQ. They have a good reason to, if you have a chance to look at the waters here.

"Shall we buy a house in Champion Lakes?" I quipped, jokingly.

"Hmm, can ah," Jen replied, probably knowing that was a joke.

Sometimes I carry out jokes too far. But not always.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I am also a Singaporean but living in Melbourne. I came across your blog from someone who linked to one of your post on FB.

    I landed in Australia about 7+ years ago by chance. It was totally unplanned and unexpected. Through a series of unplanned events, I chanced upon a display home in a new estate pretty much like what you did. From the very moment when I walked through the display homes, I realised this was my dream.

    Long story short, I have done it. I built my house that I now call home. And I have done it alone. Your wife and the baby will be your strength. So if you set your mind to make this happen, it will happen. It may take a couple of years but it will happen. This is Australia - if you are willing to make your dream come true, it will.

    I look forward to the day you build the house you want on the lot that you hope to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. our PR slowing down liao...raining everyday here...damm sianz...mrt break down all the time....WTF

    ah pooh

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Singaporean from Melbourne: Hi brother,

    to be frank i have not thought that far yet. I don't dare to. I can't see where the money is coming from at the moment so much as i like to dream, i kept it subdued.

    i know what i really like though, that has always been a benchmark ever since I have been taught to sing "Home on the range" when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pooh: Don't worry, it'll finish on time.

    ReplyDelete