Under-prepared

Jen fainted today.

Joanna was on MC so we went out together to do a bit of shopping. Joanna and her baby sister at the back of the car, Jenny beside me. I was the driver of the day in Joanna's Suzuki Swift.  The day went fine. Jen and I bought a bit of vegetables and noodles.

On the way back, we were chatting fine and well.  Then there was a pause of silence.  I didn't find it odd at first.  Then I heard Jen made some weird sounds, like what we will make when we are about to vomit.  Twice.  

"Oh oh!" was my first thought.  

"Are you okay, Jen?" was my first words.

No response.

I took a glance and I saw Jen's eyes closed, her head was swaying a little. I held her hand while the car was in 3rd gear and called out, "Jen, are you okay?"

No response.

Joanna looked up and asked what was happening.  I told her Jen fainted.  She looked lost like me and didn't know what to do.  I continued to hold Jen's hand and repeated my questions gently, taking my hand away to switch the gears once.  After about 20 seconds I saw her eyelids moving.  I knew she would be okay and concentrated on driving.

At the next traffic junction, I stopped and had the opportunity to give Jen more attention.  I held her hand again and she opened her eyes.  I was relieved, that goes without saying.  She said she felt giddy.  I turned up the fan by a notch and drove the rest of the journey without stopping.  When we were near Joanna's precinct, Jen was well enough to give me the instructions where to turn and such.  By the time I parked the car, I knew she was ok.  

I immediately tucked her to bed and cooked dinner.  I suspect it was the light lunch she had.  Lessons learnt today:

1) Make sure Jen has proper FULL meals even she does not feel hungry.

2) Always bring a puke bag I had prepared for her wherever we go

3) I urgently need a telephone line and learn how to call out quickly. And save all the emergency numbers.  This would be a top priority task in my To Do list.

4) Jen is pregnant.  She has a generally good pregnancy. No faints, no cravings, no pains, no vomiting so far and it is easy to be complacent and forget that she has special needs.  We have to remember this.


1 comment:

  1. Thinking about this now, it was very gutsy to migrate halfway thru a pregnancy.

    I am reading thru the blog from the beginning.. hope everything turns out ok.

    ReplyDelete