2 Joyous Occassions

Every 8 October is a special day. It is the birthday of my second elder sister, Angela. What makes the day more special is that my good buddy Vincent and Josephine are getting married today.

Their marriage to me, is like a fairytale romance movie. I watched it right from the start where 2 people were heading nowhere in their love life, almost self-defined to be single all their lives and most unlikely to end up hitched to each other. 

I listened with interest when Vincent met Josephine through a colleague and how he courageously got himself a first date. I was there all the time to understand and gave the best advice I could to disentangle the complexity of the courtship. I saw the despair and desperation of Vincent when he thought he was on the brim of failing. I remembered I was left speechless and couldn't find anymore encouraging words or practical advice to share.

Then the breakthrough. Somehow, by a stroke of luck or pure determination, Jo was moved and decided to give it a go. The relationship started. Like the way the courtship began, the relationship had their hiccups. Some big ones along the way. I found my job and Vincent shifted home and we met much less often so the updates dwindled. But I knew their relationship was on a bull run, amidst the little corrections along the way.

Both of them must had forgotten how convoluted the beginning of their relationship that they took each other for granted, probably part of the life cycle of any relationships. They survived and they are walking down the isle today with the blessing of everyone including one who will miss the ending of an incredible movie.

The next chapter starts at the end of the day. Buddy, put on your seat belts. You are going on an adventure.


******

This must be the first time I have written something about my sister. In fact, I could not remember writing about any family member of mine in my entire life. Not in schools - I wrote fantasy compositions in school and avoid all factual and argumentative topics. It was not because I had flair in writing. I was just hiding my worst areas.

Angela is a well given name. There were probably cheesy suitors who called her 'Angel" but they probably weren't far off. Angela is an angel of some sorts. 

She was my mentor and protector during my childhood. Protecting me from harm, stood out for me even when she was in fear herself, taking care of me when I was sick, applied painful solutions on my ringworm (it was eczema, I found out later), operated on the huge blister the size of almost half the bottom of my right foot. I would have taken pages to list them if not for the bad sectors in my brain.

She was the inspiration who influenced and shaped my character in many ways. 

Without her, 

I wouldn't have perfect table manners. 
I wouldn't have picked up the guitar and appreciate music.
I wouldn't be curious enough to learn cooking.
I wouldn't be a genuine dog lover.

I have always been a pessimistic, sullen and brooding person. She made me a better person in spite of.

I am not the only person who is positively influenced by her. She has been brilliant in any roles she takes on. A filial daughter, a loving mother and wife, an amazing sister, a responsible employee, a fantastic friend, a great colleague. I'm proud to have her as my sister and hope my daughter grows up to be someone like her.

Our home was a better place before she got married and moved out but I'm happy she is bringing happiness to her own family the way she always do, everywhere she goes. She is great to be around with, always calm and collected, always humorous. The only good thing I gained in her absence was independence. It started late, but at least it happened, inch by inch.



Thank you for retaking care of the parents while I'm away sis. It's only temporary. I'll try to settle down as fast as I could and make arrangements for the family. Meanwhile:
Happy Birthday Sis.
 You deserve happiness, for giving so much away.





8 comments:

  1. Another one round of trying whether I can post a comment on it and I finally realised that it works.... Yeah... FINALLY...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, there is too much to say after reading the blog and I really not sure where should I start writing the comment but sincerely speaking, reading this is just enjoyable and surprisingly all the words you drop is just so true for a typical Singaporean.

    About the decision of both of your moving to Perth is not a news to me because we try to plan together and thinking of the corret timing to go. Before the departure, I got the news that Jenny is expecting for almost 5 mths. The ever first thing that come up to my mind is you two is seriously brave enough to make this move. As other people would just choose to be remain to the habitual lifestyle after the baby is out or another husband is a bit settle and take her over. But yet, you deserve this compliment that you two just make this move and have a new life and environment. I really feel that this is a right move although Chin will be quite tough.

    I know Chin's plan when he reach Perth so I tried to link you two with my Uncle Lai see whether he is willing to help. Of course there are voices that stop me but I just feel that if he can give you two some useful advices of settling down I dont mind later on have some work done on my side.

    A trip for my Uncle Lai back to Malaysia, it was just so conincidence that both of you just went to Perth. May be it is just s nice timing of me telling him to help and YES he promise me he will make the call.

    Happy for both of you to enjoy the BBQ session and the time with my Uncle Lai and Aunt Mehnoosh. That's the max I can do to help you two settle down more properly already.

    If you ever face any problem in Perth, can just give them a call for some suggestion. At least they know some nice deal and the "survival skill" in Perth. Cheers. Hope to see both of you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Penny : Thanks for introducing Uncle Lai. It was great to have someone to talk with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly speaking, I was expecting you to pen topics of my birthday (haha, big headed) so was happy to read this. BUT, wasn't expecting such a overwhelming, almost tribute (accept I'm still alive haha)posting! I thought I've good memory but some of the things I did, eg. the blister on the foot, I don't recall :( well, bro...I've the guts to, it's in my nature, that's why I'm in the field, like mom always say I'm 'nasty' to mice (in the lab)..tsk tsk.

    Thanks for the nice things you wrote about me...you never include the long list of bad things? haha, it's my birthday afterall, thanks for excluding so I can still be the angel to the readers..hehe. I have never meant to leave my role to our family, never will, it's just different phase and priority in my life...will be ready to get back to where I've left it, as I watch my kids grow up (more independent) and our parents grow old (and more dependent). As mom defined years ago about being filial, "You just need to take care of us the number of years we've taken care of you". Reading this gives me good energy to start the gloomy Mon morning...you made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey thanks alot for the beautiful words on me and jo. I remember the chats we had at nanshan when things were looking really bad. Really miss the days when u were just a coffee chat away. Now it would take alot just to meet up just for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @sister Angela,

    A gloomy Monday is better than a jobless gloomy Monday =)
    I hoped you had a good birthday celebration. I saw some pictures Jen showed me on facebook. Both kids look brilliant and happy. Hope mine will turn out as fine as yours

    ReplyDelete
  7. @vincent: It's part of life. People come and go. Some come back into your life again, some don't.

    I certainly hope all of u dun forget me, though I was just a by-watcher, didn't quite contribute much to your lives. However, you guys did. So please keep in contact and give me as much updates about your lives as possible.

    Though I'm so far away, I was very happy on your wedding day and kept talking to Jen about it the whole day. I'm glad it finally happened. Now that you mentioned about Nanshan, I don't know if you believe that, I have always thought it can work out and I'm glad it did. Now you can move on to the next phase of your life which you always wanted, to have a place of your own. The place I'll visit indefinitely when I'm back, so get it ready. I'm visiting whether I'm welcomed or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha Bring it on man...

    ReplyDelete