A Mountain Turtle, A City Bumpkin

A mere 2km away and look what I found
Today I jogged 2km North-West and back. Jen was puffing behind me in her brisk walk, getting her much needed exercise as advised by Aunty Angie.

In the past, she would jog alongside with me. Obviously, being 6 months pregnant that was no longer possible.

So this was the new system - I jogged some distance forward, Jen obviously would lag behind. Then I jogged back towards her and overtook her and then turned back and repeat. While it probably sound ridiculously dumb to you, it was the safest way I could think of getting some distance for myself and keeping her within a safe distance from me. If you have a better idea, I'm all ears.

This post however is not about unusual jogging arrangements. 1.5km North West from where I am staying at the moment is a suburb called Ascot. Sounds like an expensive place right? It is. What I am going to reveal next is shocking, well at least to me. At the same time with that, I shall expose myself as a "Mountain Turtle" from Singapore.

Bear in mind Ascot is only 6km from Perth CBD. It can be considered prime area. Think - Tanglin, Holland Village, Queenstown, Outram, Lavender, Newton etc, you get the idea.

"What's that smell?" I thought as I took another deep breath. Before I could get a better idea, quick reflects allowed me to side step just in time to avoid stomping onto horse manure. Then I saw it.
Many residents kept horses here
Did you see that? Apparently, there were many residents living here with horses in their yard. I spotted a vet hospital along the way too. Last but not least:


In Singapore's context, it would mean something like this: Many Holland Village residents owned horses and kept them in their HDB flats. The horse clinic would be just at Holland Shopping Centre. In their spare time, Holland Village horse owners would take a ride or two around a race track, located probably at where Holland Public Swimming Pool would be at. Isn't this crazy?

If this is not enough, at the end of the estate the residents in Ascot blessed with the scenic view of part of the Swan River.



 With BBQ pits free for the public to use, no booking is required. No charcoal required too, as this pit is electrically operated and all you have to do is to push a button and get ready to BBQ. The pit is also surprisingly spick and span.



While you BBQ here, you would probably be able to hear ducklings chatting with one another, waddling casually knowing you are not interested to make them part of the BBQ. I am in awe and shock with this kind of things. After all I lived in a city state for more than 3 decades. And they used to use "Mountain Turtle" to describe the country bumpkins. Today I define, City Bumpkin.

Ducks having a routine gathering in the water

Prints of the webbed

They paddled away when I approach, not interested to be friends

A dog, belonging to one of the residents having a ball in his private time






2 comments:

  1. Yes I ran there a few times too. Horses, droppings... and the Ascot race course nearby

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Patrick. The place is nice. Probably too expensive for most migrants to buy a place there :)

    ReplyDelete