Food Truck in the Valley




Yesterday, an event was held literally at my "backyard" and I thought I'll share it with you. The location was just a minute's drive away. I could actually walk there if I wanted to but since I had strained my lower back cleaning old paint stains on the bathroom floor that morning, I didn't feel like it at all.


In fact, I didn't even want to go until Judy texted me from the venue and said, "Atmosphere is great. There is a young girl singing. Food looks good." She even offered to come back and drive me there. Before long, I was there and these were scenes I saw.


Food trucks. You know, that uncle who drove his van filled with contraband to serve Pasir Labar Camp firing range had already made that cool long before I have seen hippies doing it. At the back of his Hiace was only food - not drugs or explosive. Contraband because it wasn't legal to do that in Singapore without a license. Well, it isn't legal to do anything in Singapore without a license but uncle don't give a fuck. Neither did any of the army personnel who benefited from his services. Personally I see nothing wrong with food trucks. There are all over the place in Perth, bringing food to factories during break and lunch times. There are licensed of course but without the restrictions slapped onto the entrepreneurs in Singapore who tried to start this culture a decade ago. Needless to say, it flopped.


Apparently, the locals love the food truck events here. The attendees were mainly the whites. You could count the number of Asians with 1 hand, despite the fact some 30 - 40% of the food trucks were actually peddling Asian food. All the tables provided were occupied but the Aussies do not stand over tables and cluck impatiently at patrons who look like they have almost finish their meals. They bring their own picnic tables or simply spread a mat on the ground to have their meals. 


Can you imagine that happening near a Pasar Malam in Singapore? Singaporeans bringing tables or chairs or mats for an impromptu Alfresco dining? Singaporeans taking photographs and sending it to town councils to report Singaporeans going against regulations. Food business owners complaining to NEA for "unfair competition." Cave dwellers complaining to HDB for "noise" or "unsightly congregation." 

Since we were there, Judy urged me to take a look inside the host shop at that venue. She told me the price of the food and drinks were similar to those fancy cafes in Singapore where Singaporeans who want to feel atas will choose to have their breakfast there instead of the reliable hawker centres. You could have delicate sweet treats and coffee and stuff like that. I thought it was nothing special. However, the sitting area looked inviting. The owner tried his best to make it blend with the original surrounding when he bought over the place. As usual, the place is made children and family friendly.


Should I take the family here for breakfast one weekend? I'll think about it first.







1 comment:

  1. Damn, this was a good post. Pity you stopped writing here.

    ReplyDelete