Salting Eggs

Influenced by KL-J's interest in salted eggs, I finally decided to do it.


Before I did it, I checked the retail price of salted eggs in Perth. The cheapest was about 92 cents per egg. The price of a chicken egg I was buying to salt was about 20 cents per egg. The problem: the salted egg from China was of course, a duck egg and it would definitely weigh higher than a chicken egg. If I could even find a supply of fresh duck eggs here, it probably would cost so much that I would be better off buying the product from China off the shelf.


So hypothetically, how can I make profit out of this? I have no clue at the moment but it doesn't matter. What I want to do at this stage was to find out what the fuss was about. If I could not reach a level where I could be cocksure about a product, I wouldn't be able to believe in it let alone market it. Did I just say market it? Me? We'll talk about that much later.


To salt an egg at home was a no-brainer, even my 5 year old daughter could do it. Salt, water, eggs. Simple as. Add salt to water so much until the brine saturates. Then soak eggs in brine. The brine will both preserve and salt the eggs. With adequate time, we get salted eggs. That's all. It isn't rocket science. Of course to produce salt eggs commercially, we will need to do it cheaper, better and faster. That is another story altogether but my current focus is to make some, use them, taste them and see what this is all about.


saturation




All that was left to do was to wait. By the time the eggs are ready, Judy will still be in Perth. I'll leave some for her to do pastries with and use some myself to cook stuff. Will the curing turns out to be successful? Let's wait and see.


If it works, I would have turned a 20 cent into 4 times the amount of money I would require to spend to acquire a similar product in retail, which suits a pissed poor peasant like me to a T. I no $ don't want to pretend to eat atas food lah but make them myself? Why not. When I call mum again I should tell her that the I couldn't even afford one of the peasant food that poor families like ours used to eat to save money.

No comments:

Post a Comment