Sorting the Annoying Garage


After spending an afternoon [link] moving pavers away and throwing out as much rubbish as I could, I was still left with this...


That was 70% of the initial mess but it wasn't anything close to what I wanted.


Like I mentioned earlier, I felt like being locked out in a losing Solitaire or Freecell game. Something had to go if I were to make any further progress. My bicycles would be moving to the new factory eventually, perhaps as a good aid slow walking folks to their toilet breaks. Until then they would be taking up precious space I couldn't afford in the garage. So I decided to move everything to one side of the wall. That was the only way I could begin work properly on the empty side.


I packed the rack that Patrick generously gifted me as much as I could, doing a better job than the Missus, of course. When my tasks are through one day, I'll have to run through the boxes of stuff one by one and see what can be eliminated from the household. I am not the slightest convinced we need that amount of things in the garage to run the household.


After one side of the wall was cleared, I made a visit to the hardware store only to find the high prices were not on my side.




That is what happens when you give a large corporate a monopoly of the market. Crappy prices for crappy goods. I find prices of many items in Bunnings exorbitant. Sure, I agree that there are goods available at great prices but if you know the hardware market well enough, you will be able to identify much more at cut throat prices easily. Fixtures and fasteners, for example, are some to begin with. They are being sold at a ridiculous margin in Bunnings. If I were to go with their recommendations, I would be spending hundreds of dollars to shelf the garage. Even a crappy fucking hook cost a few dollars. Fuck them.




So I decided to go the Pissed Poor Peasant way. For example, to hold my ladders, all I needed was 2 screws on wall plugs. For less than $0.50 (I didn't even have to buy the screws), I could hold my ladder plus my full weight climbing the ladder on that wall. (Yes, I bloody did that) Try doing that with your crappy overpriced hooks. The shape of the countersunk screws also held the edge of the ladder very tightly. These wouldn't fall even if an earthquake hits. See how the ladders look on the wall. What should I do with expensive hooks in a blood sucking hardware giant? Screw them.


Next, I spent loads of time walking up and down the aisles of Bunnings looking for a cheap solution to create shelving. No, there was no chance in hell I would be paying those money for ridiculous gimmicks. Bolt-less adjustable shelves for a hundred bucks? Hey - how often do you adjust your racks? I don't think most people even do that once in 5 years. Do I care if it was bolt-less or not? You think I cannot tighten a bolt? If they sell me a self-cleaning rack for a hundred bucks, perhaps I'll throw my money at them but not before that.


Tracks for shelves brackets, as shown earlier, was selling at exorbitant prices. A minimum of 2 tracks would cost me $25. A pair of brackets at $6. If I were to make a 3 level shelf, the total sum would be $43 and that was not inclusive of the actual shelf (wood) yet. I looked through every available solution but none of them were low costs. In the end, I sighed and decided carpentry would have to be the solution. The problem was, working in wood was the last thing I wanted to do. I preferred metal obviously, due to my experience with it.


Anyway, beggars cannot be choosers. I bought my cheapo MDR wood material for a total of $21. It consisted of 2 x 115mm x 2700mm and 1 x 60mm x 2600mm. I figured that was enough for now. I visited the "Cut Shop" in Bunnings. They told me the first 3 cuts (since I bought 3 items) were free of charge and subsequent cuts would cost me $0.50 each.


"Ok, do it," I said.


So the chap did it. After the cuts, I realised that they were cut 1mm more than what I required. Every single fucking piece.


I walked to the self-checkout counters, paid for my materials and walked out. $0.50 for each cut? No way I was going to pay for that.


I didn't even want to use fixtures to hold my shelves up. I used leftover tubes of construction glue left over from my laminate flooring job a year ago. The next day, the glue seemed cured so I put my heaviest tool box (above) on one shelf for a load test. The last time I checked (yesterday, after 1 week), the shelf was still holding out fine. So I know my other lighter stuff will give the shelves absolutely no problem. So basically, I spent $21 to create these spaces. I already find it too expensive. I should have picked up unwanted timber in nearly construction sites to do this shit. Unfortunately, I couldn't being them to Bunnings for some clean, inaccurate cuts.


Acting tough and rough .... then realised I'm a father of young kids

With that I have solved 1 side of the wall. I'll populate the shelves soon with my stuff. Two more sides to go before I close the garage task. This is taking longer than I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment