Guests From Sunny Singapore

It was funny to read old letters from a friend. I could still remember replying her fury of messages during 2300hrs breaks in my last job. She told me it was around March then.


Time passed quickly didn't it? Back then Singaporean Mom had not gotten her Australian PR visa. Along the way she cleared her medical (the subject she bugged me most) and then her PR visa was approved (not my credit) and she finally came over to have dinner one evening during her one week recce.


M has a brave soul in her. Of course, having financial backing helps. Still, venturing alone to a strange land with a son and nobody else is daunting. I will not even think about it coming here on my own, let alone with a child. Ok, I know many PRC 陪读妈妈 did the same coming to Singapore, but PRCs and PRCs. They'll venture to amazon forests if they see the need to. Not many Singaporeans would feel comfortable leaving our homeland in comparison. Well because Singapore is great and we have the best government in the world. Also, Remember R.A.T.S?


M has a plan and appears to be the meticulous type. She has every small detail sorted out and is very clear what she wants to do. It is safe to say she is the female Edmund, well organised and foresighted. Within a week she managed to enroll her child in a school in Perth. So it is safe to say we will see her again next year. She also commented she chose to live in the North of River to siam me far far. Nonetheless, M became the first visitor who stubbornly did the dishes after dinner during her first visit to our place despite me telling her not to.


Ryan, the gentleman from Singapore who contacted us also came over our place with Joanna for dinner. We hope our meals were alright, good enough to host. He wanted to have a meal out and give us all a treat. I couldn't let him, not when he was guest. He insisted we should be doing that the next time though, so we can relax and do away with the cooking and washing. Maybe. Tell us when you are coming again, Ryan. We'll be happy to do that. I didn't get much chance to talk to both Ryan and M because I had to make food. M even had to babysit Albany and read stuff to her. Albany seemed to like M though, or it could be her Ipad.


It felt a tad odd to meet up with folks you have known for quite some time but have never met. When we met it seemed we weren't strangers, yet in a way we were.

9 comments:

  1. Good on ya, M. I'm glad you took this great leap of faith to move Down Under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;D fingers X. Lots to learn. Lots to deal with... Already starting to feel overwhelmed but I'll just take it all in stride. Some ppl mentioned how tough it will be in the initial 12 months. O well, time flies... and hopefully there is a rainbow after the storm.

      Delete
  2. ;) More meet ups again in near future... I can come south for more yummy food that you and the girls made... special mention of that awesome sambal heibi! I'll exchange some food for cleaning and baby sitting!! (and no... its no the ipad! hahahah) <3 to all at home, M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. baby sitting is welcomed. no more cleaning allowed

      Delete
    2. :) I'll babysit for scraps... and heibi hiam.

      Delete
  3. My greatest respect to a courageous soul, selfless and loving to bring up her child in a new world. Love is divine when it is unconditional in caring for her child. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vincent.. :) Lots to adapt but I'm sure there are ppl to guide me along.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to Oz, M, from back here on little red dot!
    I join in to salute your making it!
    Heartily wishing you a steady, smooth (平步青云) settling in ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u Alan! :))) Let's hope it will be smooth... Meantime is big hole in pocket. Gives a wholesome meaning to being 'POCK'!!! Super broke to uproot! are u gonna apply too? You never know what you're gonna get...

      Delete